Day 22: Camelback Mountain

Today I decided to test my conditioning by hiking Camelback Mountain's Echo Canyon trail.  It is considered "Extremely Difficult".  I am a little afraid of doing this because I am going with my camera equipment on my back and with water for the trip.  Probably around 15 lbs.  I get up at 4:45 am, get out of the house by 5:00 am and at the trailhead by 5:30am. When I got to Camelback, the main parking lot is 90% full.  Now the sign for the trail says it is open from sunrise to sunset.  I am there 15 minutes before sunrise and there is not a big line of people waiting to get on the trail.  If I had known this I would have been there a whole lot earlier.

Before starting up the trail I noticed that the crescent moon was in a really cool place.

Crescent moon
Crescent moon

I start up the trail.

A group starting up at the same time


I make it to the first resting area in time to see the sun just above the horizon.  Really it is just a good spot to see the sun rise if you cannot make it to the top.

Sunrise hitting the Phoenix area
It looks like this lady is already heading down, but she just goes to here and then back down twice
Views on the way up:

View on the way up
View on the way up
Cool looking golf course.  Notice the rough is native desert.
View from the top:

View from the top
View from the top

View from top
View from top
As I came down the trail to the finish line, a group that had been to the top yelled out:  "Look he made it; the photographer made it."  I should have gotten a picture of myself; I must have looked like I wasn't going to make it.

The Echo Canyon trail lived up to it's extreme difficult rating.  There was a lot of climbing up rocks and using handrails.  My legs were very tired after the trip.

Next:  More rest and relaxation

Paul and Vicki Kristoff
photo@kristoffs.com
PaulKristoffPhotography.com
paulkristoff.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What has Paul been doing this summer?

Day 13 - The River Road Trip, Take 1

The National Park tour. Day: -1