Day 66: Slough Creek

Monday, June 5, 2017

David and I decide to do Lamar Valley this morning.  As we head out we hope to find a place to some sunrise landscape pictures but find none.  We stop at Slough Creek for the third time looking for the wolves to come out of there den.  We get there and set up our cameras on tripods.  My interest wains some and I look at the landscape off to the left.  I figure someone will yell if the wolves are coming out of the den.




I notice something on the limb on the tree.  It turns out to be an eagle.



I take a couple of landscape pictures with the bison and the eagle.  They are nothing to write home about, but maybe put in the blog.




David comes by after a while and asks if I am ready to leave.  I decide to wait for the eagle to do something.







The bison decides to roll in the dust.  Anytime I can get a picture of an animal doing something I take a picture.










It has now been about 45 minutes since I spotted the eagle and it is finally doing something.


I am disappointed that it is flying away from me.






















































What a cool sequence of pictures.  It really puts you an a high after this.  We decide to go down toward the end of the Slough Creek road and hike Slough Creek trail.  As we are driving we see a coyote (we are hoping for a wolf).  The coyote trots right by me.  This is the third time this has happened.

Some of the teeth are out of focus - bummer.

After it passes me it heads to the other side of the trail head to bury it's kill.  I did not get a good picture of the kill.  You may be able to see it in in the first picture.









We notice that it is heading up the trail.  We follow but not very close.







It hides the second kill and heads off.


These flowers are blooming everywhere along this trail

As we go up the trail further, I see a bear.  It looks like a black bear.  We move up the trail a little bit in order to get a better angle.  After a few pictures the bear goes around the corner and we start to walk back.

We stop to get a picture of a squirrel in it's den.  Then we see a few deers and snap a few more pictures.


A running Mule Deer

Poop eating butterfly.  I have seen this once before.

We photograph a wood pecker

and a humming bird.
We had heard from our guide that there is a place where grizzly bears love to hang out.  So we took off this afternoon to find it.  We followed the directions but did not find anything.  The place is the Tom Miner Recreation Area and T Bar ranch.  It turns out that the bears do not go there until sometime in August.







This a great day of taking wildlife pictures.

  • Bison
  • Eagle
  • Coyote
  • Squirrel
  • Deer
  • Wood Picker
  • Humming Bird


Parks visited:
  • Big Bend National Park
  • Grand Canyon National Park
  • Upper Antelope Canyon
  • Horseshoe Bend
  • Arches National Park
  • Canyonlands National Park
  • Bryce Canyon National Park
  • Zion National Park
  • Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
  • Utah Lake State Park
  • Shoshone Falls Park
  • Yellowstone National Park
Paul and Vicki Kristoff
photo@kristoffs.com
PaulKristoffPhotography.com
paulkristoff.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What has Paul been doing this summer?

Day 13 - The River Road Trip, Take 1

The National Park tour. Day: -1