Day 60: Onward to Yellowstone

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Today we get up and the tire on the rental car (Jeep) is low.  The tire pressure light is on.  Also, the maintenance warning is on.  This message is really annoying, which it is meant to be, because it is always showing in the information screen.  Vicki calls Budget and they say put some air in the tire.  If it is still low when we get to West Yellowstone then call the Budget there.  As for as the maintenance warning goes they say it is not due, but we have to live with the warning.

We drop Max off at the kennel.  The place looks nice and friendly.  We take his car seat and other stuff to the storage unit.

We fill up with air, which costs over a $1.

We are off to West Yellowstone.  We arrive at Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone about 1/2 hour before David and Susan.






We unload our stuff, well some of the stuff.  Most is left in the car as to not fill up their motor home.  It turns out that the motor home has a bed that lowers over the driver and passenger seats.  Vicki suggests that we lower it and use it as a shelf.  The suggestion is well received.  After getting settled in, we head toward Old Faithful.  We stop a couple of places and take pictures.  This is the first time I have used my cameras since the wreck.



This is our first bison sighting.

We have never seen old faithful and am not sure what to expect.












The one thing I was able to do was get the geyser shooting up against the vapor cloud.  This was completely by accident but I did notice it as it was happening.

  As we walk around David and I see a building called Haynes Photo shop.  We go in and meet a gentleman named Bill.  He helps us with where to go shoot.  I begin to notice that David is asking mostly animals.  So I start directing him towards some landscape.  We get information on one of the maps.  It becomes the holy grail of the trip.  We misplace it a few times and panic.  I showed the old faithful pictures to Bill.  I mentioned the geyser being backed by the vapor cloud and he remarked that it was not an easy thing to do.

I now remember from the African safari from last year that David is a wildlife and landscape photographer and I am a landscape and wildlife photographer.  David is going to think wildlife first and I am going to think landscape first.  But I have to admit that wildlife babies are very cute.

We decide to go off to Midway Geyser Basin and look around.  We are thinking of old faithful at sunset.











David and I try to decide whether or not the sun will be behind the mountains before Old Faithful erupts again.  We decide to go for it.




























In hind sight on these pictures I probably would have moved more to the right in order to get the blown out sky out of the picture.  It turns out the sun did not go behind the mountains before the eruption. This eruption was much higher than the one we saw in the afternoon.

David and Susan were so kind to offer up the sofa bed in the RV, but I am rather apprehensive about staying with them.  The main problem is my sleeping habits because of the way my Parkinson's drugs have their on and off times.  I have nights when I go to sleep at 11 wake up at 12 and don't fall back asleep until 1-2.  I need a place to get up and walk around and I didn't want to be waking everyone up. I decide we will give it a try and if I disturb everyone, then Vicki and I can rent a cabin.

Tomorrow we (David and I) decide to get up early - 4am and head out to take waterfall pictures.

Parks visited:
  • Big Bend National Park
  • Grand Canyon National Park
  • Upper Antelope Canyon
  • Horseshoe Bend
  • Arches National Park
  • Canyonlands National Park
  • Bryce Canyon National Park
  • Zion National Park
  • Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
  • Utah Lake State Park
  • Shoshone Falls Park
  • Yellowstone National Park
Paul and Vicki Kristoff
photo@kristoffs.com
PaulKristoffPhotography.com
paulkristoff.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What has Paul been doing this summer?

Day 13 - The River Road Trip, Take 1

The National Park tour. Day: -1